Training to Strengthen Families
Whether you are looking to strengthen families in your work or in your community, Illuminate Colorado can support you.
Smart Choice Safe Kids Conversation Guide Training
The Smart Choices Safe Kids Conversation Guide is a tool for professionals to provide direction on strengths-based conversations with families on substances and substance use, including sections on safe storage, safe and engaged caregiving and the Strengthening Families Protective Factors.
This virtual 4-hr training includes video vignettes, interactive activities and opportunities to practice universal, transparent conversations about safety. Training participants will receive safe-storage bags and family handouts in English and Spanish as well as a copy of the Smart Conversation Guide.
Contact Us to Learn More
This training for family strengthening and child maltreatment prevention professionals working in governmental and community-based organizations in early childhood, public health, home visitation and family support programs supports professionals in starting and continuing their conversations with families to strengthen child and family well-being.
Training addresses the proper utilization of the Smart Choices Safe Kids Conversation Guide and explores stigma, bias, boundaries, screening tools and resource/referral options.
Following the training, participants will have access to all course materials and ongoing consultation with Illuminate Colorado.
Bringing the Protective Factors Framework to Life in Your Work
Strengthening Families™ is a research-informed approach to increase family strengths, enhance child development and reduce the likelihood of child abuse and neglect. It is based on engaging families, programs and communities in building five key protective factors.
Created by the Children’s Trust Fund Alliance, this seven course training empowers community members to move from knowledge to action in the community after an in-depth exploration of the Five Protective Factors:
- Parental Resilience
- Social Connection
- Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development
- Concrete Support in Times of Need
- Children’s Social and Emotional Competence.
The Strengthening Families™ approach and protective factors framework was introduced in 2003 by the Center for the Study of Social Policy (CSSP). The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation funded the original research with CSSP and also funded the Children’s Trust Fund Alliance to engage its network of children’s trust and prevention funds to demonstrate unique and innovative ways to implement the protective factors framework.
This Alliance Training of Trainers curriculum, Bringing the Protective Factors Framework To Life In Your Work, provides experienced trainers with an array of resources for in-person and virtual delivery, with activities and materials to meet diverse training needs and enhance adult learning experiences. The multi-day training offers networking and learning opportunities with other qualified trainers.
As the state intermediary for Bringing the Protective Factors Framework to Life in Your Work, Illuminate supports and coordinates the more than 60 certified trainers across Colorado with technical assistance and mini-grant funding that can be used to support trainer time, child care, food and materials, when available, to promote the Protective Factors in the community.
Bringing the Protective Factors Framework to Life in Your Work Online Curriculum
Introduction/Strengthening Families™ 101
- Background information on the Strengthening Families™ Protective Factors approach
- Introduction of the protective factors framework
- Strength-based work with families
- Introduction of the Strengthening Families™ Protective Factors Framework Self-Assessment
- Appropriate as a stand-alone orientation to the framework
The Five Protective Factors Courses
- Purpose and learning objectives for each course
- Definition and explanation of the protective factor
- Definition and explanation of program strategy (or strategies) and everyday actions
- Quizzes, activities and reflective questions
- Real-life parent stories, documenting the power of building protective factors
- Engaging mix of written text, video and audio examples
- Individualized Action Plan (IAP) work
- A direct link in the Websites and Resources section to the Strengthening Families™ Self-Assessment for that protective factor
Moving from Knowledge to Action
- Recap of the curriculum, using the logic model as a visual summary
- Introduction to the systems concepts of the Strengthening Families™ “Core Functions” and their ability to impact change at a systems level
- Review of the user’s portfolio and Individualized Action Plan (IAP)
- Add user reflections and update the IAP to reflect progress made while completing the curriculum
Explore Programs & Services
We take a public health approach to addressing child maltreatment in Colorado to create transformational change.
Make a Difference
The number of people, organizations and communities that are getting involved with us grows every day.