Share Your Experiences
Sharing your lived experiences with policymakers or contributing your story to the narrative in Colorado promote positive community norms that strengthen families in one of the most powerful gifts you can give to future generations of Coloradans.
Your Story is Powerful
Your lived experiences can build bridges where some only see walls. Your stories can help hold our representatives accountable to the reality of our lives. They can shine a light on communities that have fought and are fighting for a fair shot going forward. Storytellers can illuminate prevention in our everyday lives and bring the protective factors to life.
We want to hear your voice—will you share your story?
Contact Us to Learn More
Ways to Share Your Story
- Join a Circle of Parents group or the Illuminating Colorado Parenthood Facebook group and share your recommendations and support with other people parenting in Colorado.
- Talk with the media about the importance of strengthening families
- Share a testimonial for a program or service that strengthens your family
- Participate on our family advisory board
- Become a contributor to our blog helping to illuminate the protective factors in your life.
It is so important to listen to people raising people to create stronger communities. Sharing illustrative stories from people parenting creates a stronger understanding in the community of how, together, we strengthen families and prevent child maltreatment. The Illuminate Colorado blog is featuring storytellers interested in illuminating the protective factors in your life.
If you have a passion for promoting positivity and strengthening families, we encourage you to contact us with a story idea connected to one of the protective factors.
We need storytellers with a wide variety of lived experiences and intend to ensure inclusivity, equity and diversity in our storytelling as we contribute to the narrative in Colorado promoting positive community norms that strengthen families.
By supporting storytellers in this way, we also hope to reduce stigma by featuring parenting storytellers addressing issues including mental illness, addiction recovery, economic struggles, Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, as well as then general pressures of parenting.
We also welcome parents and caregivers willing to share stories highlighting the realities of parenting in connection with a much needed policy solutions connected to one or more of the protective factors.
Ideal blogs should be 3-5 paragraphs and can include a photo or video. Stock photography can be provided and storytellers are welcome to maintain anonymity. Illuminate can also provide editorial support to help craft your story, if needed.
Story Topics can include, but certainly aren’t limited to, personal stories or helpful guides or tip lists on how you:
- Managed challenges related to parenting during the pandemic,
- Leaned in on your support system,
- Met your families needs even when money or resources were low,
- Asked for support managing the daily routine raising your kids,
- Learned new things about your child as you spent more time with them during stay-at-home orders, or
- Kept your cool and managed your emotions while working and parenting or parenting under stress.
Contact a member of our storytelling communications team to share your story idea and learn more about the process of supporting you in contributing to Illuminate’s blog.