- This event has passed.
Child Maltreatment Prevention Awareness Campaign Planning Committee Meeting
February 3, 2022 @ 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
35 people are attending Child Maltreatment Prevention Awareness Campaign Planning Committee Meeting
As the Colorado Chapter of Prevent Child Abuse America, Illuminate Colorado leads the Pinwheels for Prevention Campaign in Colorado and a collaborative effort to raise awareness during child abuse prevention month each year. Since 2009, this collaborative effort in Colorado has grown exponentially over the years with hundreds of local organizations and thousands of passionate people organizing pinwheels displays – one of the many ways we work together to inspire conversations about how to strengthening families in Colorado.
Last year, more 40,000 pinwheels were ordered by Coloradans in 119 different cities, promoting more than 62 million messages through earned media, paid media and organic social media reaching more than 81,000 Coloradans to strengthen families during this stressful time in our lives.
We encourage elected officials, community and state partners, educators, employers, parents, caregivers and young people who are passionate about strengthening families to get more involved, collaborate and guide activities for April Child Abuse Prevention Month in 2022.
If you’d like to get more involved in the planning committee or just want to inform the awareness campaigns goals and activities in 2022, PLEASE JOIN US!
Can’t attend the planning meeting, but interested in getting involved? RSVP “can’t go” or contact us to get more support organizing your community or organization’s efforts to raise awareness!
AGENDA 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
REMINDER: 2022 Campaign Goals:
- Encourage more organizations and individuals to collaborate to strengthen families and communities and change social norms associated with child maltreatment,
- Bring more awareness and a greater understanding of how to prevent child maltreatment by building protective factors, and
- Build a speakers bureau of leaders and storytellers to engage Colorado communities and the media in prevention.
3:00 PM – Introductions & Campaign Updates (10 minutes)
– Display pinwheels in April as a show of support for the prevention of child maltreatment
– Promote the campaign messaging on social media in April using #GrowingBetterTogether
– Encourage 100 Coloradans to take part in the campaign, either by email or an in-person event on April 1
- National Digital Advocacy Day – April 27
- Refreshed toolkit from Prevent Child Abuse America (coming February 7)
- Social media messages and graphics
- Email & website headers
- Key Messaging & talking points
- Draft Proclamation
- Draft script for videos
- List of Suggested Activities
3:10 PM – April Activities (30 minutes)
Top 3 Calls To Action
>>Petition or Pledge (?) to Strengthen Families in Colorado
Today, there are approximately 1.26 million Coloradans under age 18. Colorado ranks 20th in overall child well-being nationally. We are asking the nearly 5,812,069 people in Colorado to prioritize strengthening families in Colorado in their lives.
Take the Pledge >>Tell us how you are prioritizing strengthening families in your life.
>>Virtual Pinwheel Garden
>>Inspiration Center – Showcase how individuals, organizations and communities are #GrowingBetterTogether
- Cross-promotion Calendar of Community Events (training, lunch & learn, pinwheel garden planting, fundraisers, ect)
- Encourage individuals to use pinwheels to promote prevention
- order, display or give away 10 free pinwheels to their neighbors
- Draft Proclamation for Communities
- Colorado Resolution & Outreach to Electeds & Community Influencers for videos ( View 2021 Videos)
- Make your own pinwheel instructions
- Pinwheel Coloring Sheet
- Calendar of Social Media Activities & Suggested Content
- Photo Contests/
- Branded Photo Frames
- Facebook Contests
- Instagram Contests
- Twitter Contests
- Embedded Contests
- Hashtag Contests
- Comment-to-Enter Contests
- Instant Win Contests
- Refer-a-friend Contests
- Points for Actions
- Video Contests
- Pick Contest Winners
3:40 PM – Brainstorm Program for April 1 Campaign Launch (15 min)
- Friday, April 1, 11 AM, Colorado State Capitol – National Wear Blue Day
- We have put in a request for Michelle Barnes (CDHS ED) and Governor Polis to attend.
- Emcee Ideas
- Live streaming update from GroundFloor
- Telephone Townhall
>>Discussion of Program & Ideal Stories
3:55 PM – Next Steps
Build a speakers bureau of leaders and storytellers to engage Colorado communities and the media in prevention.
Adrienne Baxter- CDHS Office of Children, Youth & Families
Jenny Bender – Colorado CASA
Katie Facchinello – Illuminate Colorado
Laura Knudtson – Colorado Home Visiting Coalition
Ryan Kistler – Illuminate Colorado
Emily Port – GroundFloor Media
Esmeralda Santillano – CDHS Office of Early Childhood
Justine Von Arb – – Illuminate Colorado