April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month!
Child Abuse Prevention Month Overview
During the month of April, Prevent Child Abuse Colorado works with partners across the state on the Pinwheels for Prevention Campaign. The Pinwheels campaign is focused on promoting the great childhoods that all children deserve and engaging individuals, businesses, and communities in joining together to build strong families and prevent child maltreatment.
Child Abuse Prevention Month 2018 Events
CAP Month Kick-off Rally - Tuesday, April 3rd 2018 | 9:00 - 11:00 AM | Colorado State Capitol West Steps
Join us for a rally to kick off Child Abuse Prevention Month in Colorado!
Pinwheel Photo Contest - April 1st-April 30th 2018
For Child Abuse Prevention Month 2018, CO4Kids and Illuminate Colorado are partnering to hold a statewide pinwheel photo contest. Submissions open April 1st! Click here for information about prizes, guidelines, and voting. Winners (photos with the most likes) will be announced at the beginning of May. We are so excited to see the creative ways Coloradans show their support for Pinwheels for Prevention!
Wear Blue Day - Friday, April 6th 2018
Illuminate Colorado is participating in Wear Blue 2018, a day dedicated to celebrating child abuse prevention efforts across the country. You can get involved in Wear Blue day by:
• Wearing blue on April 6 and tell people you are participating in a national day to highlight child abuse prevention.
• Take a picture of yourself and your colleagues all dressed in blue and share it on your favorite social media platform using the #WearBlue hashtag.
• Share a story of how you help mentor children, advocate for policies that keep kids safe, or donate time or money to a local child serving organization and inspire others to get involved during Child Abuse Prevention month.
We encourage everyone in Colorado to check out the hashtag #WearBlue on twitter and Facebook to see how they can get involved during Child Abuse Prevention month!
Resources for Families
The Strengthening Families Five Protective Factors serve as a framework for preventing child abuse.
- Parental Resilience
- Social Connections
- Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development
- Concrete Supports in Times of Need
- Social and Emotional Health of Children
Child Abuse Prevention Month 2017
Check out all of the events and activities that took place during Child Abuse Prevention Month 2017 by downloading the report below!
CAP Month Toolkit
Illuminate Colorado is partnering with the Colorado Department of Human Services to develop the 2018 Child Abuse Prevention Month Toolkit.
This year's theme is:
We all play a role in preventing child abuse and neglect.
Available from CO 4 Kids:
8.5 x 11 Flyers
11 x 17 Posters
Print or Electronic Banners
Sample Letter to the Editor
Two :30 Second PSA Samples
Sample Press Release
Social Media Tools