Promote Prevention in Your Life
Everyone Can Promote Prevention
Civic and Community Groups
Community Hots Spots
Chambers of Commerce
Pediatricians, Doctors Hospitals
Law Enforcement, Human Services and many more!
50 Ways to Make a Difference
- Offer to baby-sit so parents can get a little break
- Listen to someone who needs to talk about what is going on in their life
- Coordinate a meal sign-up calendar for new parents or a neighborhood family in need
- Start or participate in a carpool to help families
- Organize a neighborhood party so families can meet each other
- Increase social connections by introducing yourself to a new neighbor or parent at pick up
- Get to know the children in your neighborhood and ask them how they are doing
- Ask a family if they need something picked up the next time you run to the store
- Schedule time for an activity that can help you decompress, relax and recharge
- Join or start a Circle of Parents group to find other parents like you
- Run an errand, shovel snow, or do yard work for a parent in your neighborhood
- Join the Luminaries by making a monthly pledge to Illuminate Colorado
- Share positive stories about people and businesses helping families
- Share information about parenting and child development on your social media
- Raise awareness of child safety issues and helpful childproofing information
- Organize a moms’ or dads’ night out
- Put children’s books and information about programs that support families in your lobby and waiting areas
- Schedule family events at different times of the day and on different days of the week so more families can participate
- Add information about family-friendly resources on neighborhood websites like Nextdoor and help reduce stigma by letting others know you received support
- Remind people it’s okay to ask for and accept help
- Recognize a child or family in distress and offer support
- Host a play group at a local recreation or community center
- Connect parents to one another and to important resources for support
- Collaborate with childcare centers and schools by joining PTOs, volunteering in classrooms and participating in fundraising
- Check in with mothers and fathers to see how they are doing
- Promote a culture where it is okay for employees to reach out and ask for support
- Participate in an employee assistance program or maintain a list of available resources to support families
- Learn where your public officials stand on issues impacting children and families and vote
- Work with employees to manage workload in times of added stress and allow for flexibility
- Create a community brag board so employees can show off kids, pets, homes and hobbies
- Offer “lunch and learns” for employees or host a speaker to learn more about child development and child abuse prevention
- Support paid maternity/paternity leave for new parents (including adoptive and foster parents)
- Involve your organization in community events or sponsor a day of service for employees
- Smile and lend a hand to customers who are having a tough time with their children
- Make family-friendly spaces or activities available at your establishment.
- Pinwheels are the national symbol for child abuse prevention. Having them on display lets others know your space is family-friendly and you support strengthening families in your community.
- Offer to load groceries or other packages into the car for a parent with kids
- Learn about services for children and families in your community and make an emergency preparedness plan in case your family needs support
- Be kind to one another, especially on social media.
- Mentor for a young mother or father
- Learn the signs for postpartum depression and how to help
- Share your commitment to prevention with members of your community to inspire others to #LightTheWayCO
- Share articles, tips and/or resources in your newsletter about navigating parenting challenges
- Train staff and volunteers to create safe environments for children
- Offer space and time for parenting classes or support groups at your organization
- Host a townhall or community cafe to listen to the needs of parents in your community
- Get involved in developing or supporting a child maltreatment prevention plan in your community to strengthen families
- Volunteer to support young people involved in the foster care system
- Conduct a parenting book drive for the local library
- Call, text or chat a hotline or support line if you or someone you know needs help
- Offer to take the shopping cart back when you see someone with a child unloading groceries
- Give a supportive smile to the parent who just had to discipline their kid in public
- Compliment a parent you know is having one of those weeks.
- Remind parents that it’s okay not to know how to do everything
Share Your Experience
Join us by sharing your lived experiences with policymakers or contributing your story to the narrative in Colorado promote positive community norms that strengthen families.
Communities have a huge influence in families’ lives. Look for ways to promote protective factors in your community and promote prevention into action with the children and families in your life.
Support Our Work
Your investment empowers us to strengthen families, organization and communities to prevention child maltreatment in Colorado.
Featured Illuminate Sponsors
News & Updates
Stress tends to be viewed as a negative emotion or experience, but it is important to recognize the important role it plays in life…
As we head into the end of the year, the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer. And, now that we're safely post-Thanksgiving, many folks are putting up lights and holiday decorations. Holiday lights are a lovely metaphor for community. If only one...
Looking for a job that allows you to flex your team leadership skills, ensure Coalitions & Organizational Practice Change Initiatives measure toward collective impact, and help guide Initiatives through strategic planning? This position is for you! Under the...
Get in Touch. Get Involved.
The number of people, organizations and communities that are partnering with us grows every day.